I'm comping in Methodology/Folklore, Middle English, and Early Modern. Right now I have Methodology/Folklore and Middle English lists so I'll read those this summer, with Early Modern slated for fall reading.
So here's my question to the world- what's the best way to read/study for comps?
- Is it to write short, rhetorical precis type responses for each work?
- Create a notebook for each area, and take notes as I read?
- Just read and annotate?
- one left field question
- one based on a discussion we've had
- one specific to my dissertation
- one that focuses on the methodology
- identify and explain key terms/phrases
- passage ID and close analysis
- Synthesis essays (two parts) that address 3-5 ME works each and scholarly material
I'd appreciate any comments/thoughts on how you prepped, things that worked, things that didn't.