I tried a Google Site for education/teaching stuff this past year and hated it, so I'm migrating the teaching posts I put there here.
So we're in week three of our semester here and I admit to still feeling off-balance. Last week we had a two hour delay that cancelled class, then didn't, so that was weird. I'm prepping a new class- Revising Milton, so that's more work that I've had to do, but it is also my ONLY class, so I'll shut up.I started with a three ring binder for class. I've already moved it to a simple folder.
- Use a Google Form to get students to sign off on using their work
- Schedule a library tutorial so your students have the skills they need to succeed in your class
- Don't answer work emails at night or weekends. It sets a bad precedent. Start fresh and it'll be easier to avoid the stress of this all semester.
- Choose a set of office hours that would work with your schedule. Then have students vote for which work best.
- Make attending office hours 1% of participation.
- Make your online materials (Blackboard, Moodle, whatever) a dynamic site. Make sure your students see it that way. Also, make sure there's instructional design to your course layout so students can find things.