Mascot for #DevilDiss

Mascot for #DevilDiss
Mascot for #DevilDiss

Monday, January 4, 2016

Reflecting On Job Prospects in January

This week as a way to sort through some of my options job wise the next couple of months I drew it out as a board game (no, really...)
I posted it on Twitter, as I did all things.
And it got me thinking, of how different life looks as a professor. As someone who was on the market 6+ years ago. Or was never working class. Or had a spouse to help pick up the slack during and after grad school. Or parents who were able to help out.

So off the cuff I jotted down some Tweets this morning about the way professors, those advising grad students, can help and understand what the working class and the job market looks like to us:
(I've added non-original post comments in blue)

1. Guys, I need you to understand a thing- if you're a professor, advising grad Ss: Many of us have no job prospects. Not no higher ed jobs

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried leveraging your contacts at the publications you have contributed to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To what end? Half are journals that wouldn't translate, and half are chapters in edited collections, so nothing there. I have applied/put in for some pay by article places, using my shorter articles as writing samples.

      Delete
  2. Are there temp agencies recruiting in your area? They can be a useful way to pick up useful clerical experience, and it might be easier to get started, since they're likely to have you demonstrate your MS Office skills, and want to talk to a couple of references (possibly whichever prof is in charge of administering TAs, and a committee member?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, and I'm now receiving their email updates, so we'll see.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for saying all of these things. TT faculty aren't the issue. They are becoming increasingly powerless across the board in HE. The situation is the result of state budgets being cut and how remaining funds are being allocated, which is away from instructional support and in to admin and sports.

    The only solution at this point is for everyone to quit adjuncting as soon as possible. Devote yourself to finding other employment. I know the problems described above indicate that you can't, or are having a hard time, and that you're just trying to find a way to eat from May to August. But when you do, stick with that. Don't go back to the uni. Don't do it for the students. Don't be that dumb. The university will only hire FT instructors to replace adjuncts when they can't cover enough sections that students start going somewhere else, complaining en masse, or suing their university. That is the only way change will happen -- when adjuncts quit adjuncting. There are no other feasible solutions.

    I worked full time throughout my years as an undergrad and grad student and am currently working FT in a NTT teaching position with a Ph.D. So I'm much more fortunate than people trying to adjunct for a living, but I'm not a unicorn either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's certainly a system is broken symptom. I am luckier than most because I am a certified high school teacher, and there is a teacher shortage in most spaces, particularly low performing schools, and since I'm willing to move anywhere for work, I have some more options. But it means too, that if I make that move, I will leave higher ed permanently.

    ReplyDelete